Tuesday 14 February 2012

Update Number 2 - And a Little Battle Report

I'm hoping to get back to my proposed (I can't really say usual) update schedule next Sunday, but due to the fact that I have been all over the UK in the last week or so I've stuggled to rattle off a blog post, so here is one now. I'm also hoping to conclude the ranged vs close combat post duo this week, and the update next week should be a little more sizeable due to a triple board apocalypse game that me and 7 other guys are getting involved with.

I've only really done a couple of things this week, and they were both Necron related. The first was that during my travels I managed to pick up a Catacomb Command Barge, a kit that I was actually very impressed with, as I was expecting to have to magnetise it in order to allow me to be able to swap between command and annihilation barges at will, whereas with this, it was not the case. I'm also liking how the new instructions are now taking advantage of the numbering system next to each part.

Anyway, the second piece of 40k related activity that I participated in was the first test game for my Necron army. Just to let you know, the list can be seen below:

HQ:

Imotekh

Overlord with Warscythe in Barge with Gauss Cannon

Cryptek with Veil of Darkness

Cryptek with Chronometron

Lord with Res Orb

Elites:

C'Tan with Lord of Fire and Swarm of Spirit Dust

Troops:

14 Necron Warriors (Chrono-tec and Lord)

9 Necron Warriors (Veil-tec)

Fast Attack:

6 Scarabs

2 Destroyers with 2 Heavy Gauss Cannons

Heavy Support:

Monolith

I actually really like this list (of course, I made it). It's very different to what I have seen before with the new dex and it only has 2 duplicate units, both of which are used for very different rolls.

Now the game in question was set up to be a bit of a test for me, it was capture and control with spearhead deployment against sisters of battle. Many accept the sisters to be the weakest army in the game, and by saying that this is a test I am not countering this, this is simply due to the fact that I had never played sisters before. In case you don't want to read the next paragraph or so on the game, I will summarise now and leave you to scroll down the page to the result. I believe that I played quite a clean game, the necrons performed admirably and the only mistakes that I made were down to me not really knowing the army that I was playing against. So, onto the game.

I lost the roll off and my opponent gave me the first turn to allow him to get some last minute objective grabs in. He had Celestine, Jacobus with a battle conclave with 3 crusaders and 6 death cult assassins in a rhino. 2 squads of sisters repentia with priests in rhinos. 3 squads of sisters in rhinos, one squad had melta guns, the other had flamers and the third a multi-melta. He was also packing a squad of seraphim to go with celestine.

The game started well for me, I castled behind my Monolith leaving my veil squad in reserve. I moved then moved the barge up in the movement phase down my right flank ready to harass his home objective. However this could have gone badly wrong, as I made a mistake here as I did not know the sisters repentia. Imotekhs lightning only hit the rhino of the leftmost sisters repentia, popping it. The sisters fell out but were not pinned due to fearless, and then, due to fleet, they were able to charge the barge, but only managed to get one into it, who immobilised, but I swiftly took this on the overlord.  

He moved up his rhinos bar leaving the flamer sisters on the objective, I then spread out for the impending seraphim but neither they nor the warriors showed up this turn. Not really much happened here bar two things. In my turn, the Monolith obliterated the first squad of repentia to 2 sisters, who were then beat up after they charged the heavy destroyers, although they did kill one. In the sisters turn, the multi-melta took a shot at the monolith, passed night-fighting, penetrated it and blew it up. Fantastic. I now knew that I had a game on my hands. The C'tan moved up with the scarabs to engage the rhino wall, the barge was ineffective and no reserves came in. The scarabs ate a bit of armour but were then cut down by the second squad of repentia after their rhino was badly mauled by the C'tan.

Turn 4 was were everything kicked off. The reserves came in and my warriors capitalised on the fact that my opponent decided to move his flamer sisters off the objective. Their rhino was wrecked by the barge and many of the sisters were cut down, but they then fell back closer towards the objective. After cutting down 3 Crusaders and 5 Death Cult Assassins, along with wounding Jacobus. The large warrior squad was charged by Jacobus, the remaining Death Cult Assassin and a squad of repentia, and yet somehow managed to win the combat, although many of the necrons including Imotekh were mowed down during it. Meanwhile, the C'tan charged down a sisters squad.


On turn 5, my opponent expanded a faith point to allow his sisters to rally (something that I was not aware that he could do) and charged them into the necron squad holding his home objective. They won the combat but the necrons just managed to pass their leadership check clinging on to the objective. On the other side of the board, the C'tan charged the sisters squad, and although he killed 2 of them, he somehow managed to take 2 wounds himself locking them in combat, and although with some help from celestine and her squad, the repentia were able to clear their home objective, the sisters had nothing in range to claim it. The game ended turn 5, and thus ended with a 1-0 victory to the necrons. Although I do believe that this was a close game, I also think that I am now much more prepared for those rare occasions where I do face sisters.


That's just about rounded it off for today but hopefully there will be more frequent posts over the course of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment