Saturday 23 June 2012

A whole day of 40k

This segment may be broken down into 2 parts depending upon how large a block of text it appears on my word processing software, which I use to write my posts before pasting them into the blog. So, well see how it goes.

I'm just going to write about the day that I had today, and to be honest, it has been the most active 40k day that I have had in a long time. For a start, I left my home for my local store early in the morning, to go and pre-order a copy of the rulebook (I like to support my store by ordering through them), which I did before White Dwarf had even plopped through my letterbox. This is because, either I am a pretty active forum participant and so keep up with rumours a lot, or because due to a rather large amount of caffeine which kept me up long enough last night to allow me to see the GW statement officially announcing 6th edition.

But anyway, onto what I ended up doing for the 8 hours that I was at the store. So, onto my first of 4 games.

Due to an error in communication as to who was playing someone at the store, we all ended up playing, and so we ended up with a doubles 1,500pt game. By that I mean that each player had a 1,500pt army, leading to a 3,000pt game in total. Annihilation, Pitched Battle. I was teamed up with a Grey Knight player, who liked Paladins, while we were facing down Imperial Guard and Vanilla Marines. We came to an aggrement to leave most of the Guard army to him whilst I would take the Marines. In either turn 2 or 3, we ended up winning by wipeout.

The high point for me was where the same Wolf Guard that had killed the Swarmlord against ZacharPaladin ran on the backside of the board with his Scouts and punched Marneus Calgar in the face with a Wolf Claw, killing him. In addition, in order to protect the validity of my post regarding the Stormtalon, it had to be the first thing to die. Needless to say, it was killed with the first piece of shooting of the game, with a Long Fangs squad blowing it clean out of the sky. My point stands.

Game 2. This is where we started a doubles tournament. I was paired up with an old school friend that happened to be in store for the release. Each player had 650pts to play with, using a shared force org with their teammate, although each player had to have 1 HQ and 1 troops each. My teammate had:

A Librarian with Gate of Infinity, Avenger, Terminator Armour and a Storm Shield.

5 Sternguard in a Drop Pod.

A squad of 10 Tac Marines with a Multi-Melta and Flamer

a Contemptor Dreadnought with 2 weird Assault Cannons.

And that's it I think. I was taking:

A Rune Priest with Chooser of the Slain, Wolf Tail Talisman, Jaws and Murderous.

A squad of 5 Grey Hunters with a Meltagun and Banner in a Rhino.

A squad of 6 Grey Hunters with a Meltagun in a Rhino.

A squad of 5 Long Fangs with 4 Missile Launchers.

A squad of 5 Long Fangs with 2 Missile Launchers and 2 Lascannons.

First game was again, Kill Points, Pitched Battle. We were playing against horde Orks and Tau, and despite cleaning 64 models off the board and a crazy tank shock from a Rhino which saw the Warboss and his Nobz running off the Tau contingent was able to finish off a squad of Grey Hunters in the last turn to see a close victory to the Orks and Tau 5-4 on kill points. Later it was discovered that the Ork player was 50pts over his limit but at the end of the day it was an honest mistake and I'm not going to hold it against him, as he's such a nice guy.

This defeat left us against a another Tau army, this time paired with Daemons. The Daemon player got his non-preferred wave, filled with 2 squads of horrors with bolt, which came down and were instantly squished. This pair player very aggressively. We wiped all of their troops early on and despite a Long Fangs pack killing a Daemon Prince in close combat our objective was beset by many flamers and a Lord of Change. However, the Sternguard, Librarian and a squad of Grey Hunters managed to punch through the Tau lines to take the opposing objective, leaving the game as a 1-0 victory to us.

The final game was meant to be against a combination of Terminator spam Grey Knights and Loganwing. However, the Grey Knight player had to go leaving the game conceded in our favour.

At the end of the tournament we ended up placing 4th, it would have been 3rd but we were drawn on points with our opponents from the first game but as we lost to them we came fourth. We also won the butcher award for killing the most models throughout the tournament, with a total of 127, beating our closest rivals to the title by more than 30.

Additionally, I managed to scramble together an entrant into the painting competition in the form of a Wolf Scout, which managed to get 3rd place behind some very good entries.

All in all, a good day of gaming and I would recommend anyone to attend similar events.

No comments:

Post a Comment