Monday 7 January 2013

Throne of Skulls Prep 2

I've had various ideas for posts that I'd like to get in before Saturday, when another new Codex hits and I start to break down another load of units, but before I do I feel as though I should at least get in 1 piece of tournament preparation. I know that Throne of Skulls isn't the most competitive tournament in the UK, but for me it's a good marker to see how much I've improved, and where I should be.

For example; so long as I don't get my ass royally kicked (like last time, where I had only played a handful of games with my Wolves after picking up the army a few weeks before), I will be comfortable in extending into the independant tournaments, where no doubt, I will get my ass kicked again, and learn a lot more.

I've got several advantages 6 months after my first attendance though. The first of these is that I will actually get some sleep. With 12 days to go, I have 3 Wolf Guard Terminators, a Primaris Psyker and a Mortar team left to paint, so I shouldn't be up most of the night painting.

The second advantage is obviously that I've been playing my Wolves for a while, and although I haven't been able to play the 2 games a week that I was in Oxford (I've played 1 game in almost 4 weeks), I have plenty of time to catch that up, as I have a load of games lined up in the next 2 weeks.

As well as a game against my club's strongest tournament player on Friday, I also have a 3 game tournament on the Saturday against some strong opponents, and then a video battle report in which I am participating (and trying not to embarrase myself) the following Friday, to advertise the club.

Lists were due in for this tournament over the weekend, and this is what I'm running. I don't mind plastering my list all over the internet because if you're tailoring for it then I'm vastly overated.


 HQ:

Rune Priest (Warlord)
-Murderous Hurricane
-Tempests Wrath

Rune Priest
-Chooser of the Slain
-Jaws of the World Wolf
-Living Lightning

Elites:

Lone Wolf
-Thunder Hammer
-Storm Shield
-Terminator Armour

3 Wolf Guard
-Power Weapons
-Storm Bolters

Troops:

6 Grey Hunters
-Wolf Standard
-Meltagun

5 Grey Hunters
-Wolf Standard
-Meltagun

5 Grey Hunters
-Wolf Standard
-Meltagun

Heavy Support:

5 Long Fangs
-4 Missile Launchers

5 Long Fangs
-4 Missile Launchers

5 Long Fangs
-2 Missile Launchers
-2 Lascannons

Allied HQ:

Primaris Psyker

Allied Troops:

Veterans Squad
-Mortar

Allied Fast Attack:

Vendetta
-Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Allied Heavy Support:

Manticore
-Heavy Flamer

I'll just go through this pretty quickly. The Warlord swaps his powers out for Divination, and camps in the backfield trying not to die and buffing the Long Fangs. He will either sit with a small pack of Grey Hunters or the Veterans depending on my opponent, the mission and my mood. If the former the Vets will go in the Vendetta to jump out and contest objectives and grab Linebreaker, or something.

The Primaris goes in the other small Grey Hunter squad and swaps out his powers for Biomancy. Iron Arm makes him a decent beatstick and Endurance is pretty good too.

The Lone Wolf charges around beating things, although not in a callous way and won't take on anything that he can't beat or run directly into fire for optimal annoyance. The Wolf Guard split out into the Grey Hunter packs and eat wounds for them. Point for point they are actually slightly less durable than Grey Hunters based on armour save alone, but then you also get the invulnerable, the Power Weapon, the Storm Bolter and the opportunity to use the Challenge mechanic, and these guys aren't bad in a a challenge, and will accept 95% of the time.

The Manticore is absolutely excellent in the Emperor's Will, due to the fact that it doesn't need to see you to smash you, Barrage Sniping is fantastic also, and has helped me out many times. A steal for its points, while the Long Fangs mean that if the Manticore is destroyed I still have an extremely strong firebase.

And that's about it. This post probably isn't the best example in which to say this but if you do enjoy reading this blog (not necessarily all of the post but the blog in general) then I would really appreciate it if you could follow. Thanks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment